Thursday 22 July 2010

MORE FUN WITH ARMOND WHITE

Our Beloved Armond is at it again, this time declaring that no one under 30 should be a film critic (Ya missed me, bitch! 1978 FTMFW!) and that current national treasure Roger Ebert is responsible for the death of film criticism for liking too many movies. Oh, Armond, you crotchety old scalawag, you give such good soundbites . . .

I don't want to repeat myself by bitching about Armond too much---and most of what I have to say about him is said for me in that /Film piece---but boy is he using the wrong dictionary if he thinks "criticism" automatically means being negative in the vast majority of one's critiques. Criticism is analysis, not declaring the entirety of cinema not made by either Jason Statham, Michael Bay, or Steven Spielberg to be worthless. I mean, hell, I'm with Armond on Statham and Spielberg, but no one who liked Transformers 2 more than Inception should be drawing a paycheck for his thoughts on cinema, unless he's on drugs (which I'm fine with) or a troll (which I'm even finer with), except Armond is sober and sincere, which is simultaneously terrifying and hilarious.

Anyway. Keep it coming, Armond, baby. The world is a darker place without you.

(EDIT: Bonus Armond! Courtesy, as is the first link, of devoted Armond chronicler Ken Simon).

No comments:

Post a Comment