Wednesday 26 October 2011

THE PERILS OF STEPPING TO PAULINE


I count myself as very unfortunate to be just a hair too young to have been around for the prime of Pauline Kael. There are several new books about her, which I have not yet read. Instead, I'll turn over explication to two women I greatly respect, the first of whom I have the great pleasure of knowing personally:

The Self-Styled Siren on Pauline Kael.

Camille Paglia on same.

Two very different perspectives, but there was no easy and consistent way to sum up Pauline Kael. Even though if she knew me she'd probably think I was a fatuous, pretentious jerkoff, I still think she's just swell and I encourage all of you who are not yet acquainted with her work to get up on her body of critical work. Even in death, she'd probably be able to win an argument (the perils of stepping to Pauline in life were dire).

And remember this very important lesson: you do not always have to agree with someone to know they're smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment