Tuesday 5 June 2012

THE MOVIE CRITIC'S NATIONAL ANTHEM



Earlier today, I read this piece by Glenn Kenny about the way people perceive film criticism, and fail to understand what it actually is. I found myself nodding and going, yes, I agree with this and it's very well written.

But then, holy balls. I read this piece about the same thing by Jim Emerson and I'm ready to join the fucking Army. I don't know that I've ever seen an argument as methodically and completely laid to more desolate waste than Emerson reduces this dude (whose work, I should say, I'm not as familiar with as I am with A.O. Scott's, or Mr. Kenny's, or Mr. Emerson's, all three of whom are really goddamn good at what they do.)

Anyway, that's all I got for now, but if you have any interest at all in criticism, rhetoric, or good writing, check those pieces out. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment